Tuesday 1 April 2014

What's the worst thing I've seen?

Well that depends on how you look at worst and what you consider to be just part of the job or shocking behaviour.  A lot of people say, oh you get used to it but in reality it's amazing what you can get used to!  Verbal insuslt's, physical threats and assaults, pretty much a standard weekends work in most venues either inside or more often on the front door.   
Probably the worst thing I saw inside a venue was in Scunthorpe where groups of young men were commonplace when I worked there and fights broke out with alarming regularity.  On one evening a group of Polish lads had singled out someone to pick on from what I can gather and in seconds they surrounded him and attacked, I mean there was about ten guys pounding on this lad obviously doing serious damage straight away.  When the call came over the radio we charged into the centre trying to protect the guy who could barely stand and was bent double as a doorman tried to help him.  The group circled us but stopped and didn't attack us, one guy however decided that he didn't care we were there and ran in kicking the helpless guy full on in the face exploding his nose showering blood everywhere and sending the lad flying backwards, myself and one other doorman pounced on he attacker as he came in again relying on the rest of the door team to watch out backs, I don't know why but the rest of the group started to disperse, I don't know maybe they realised their friend had crossed the line as their victim was totally unconscious on the floor in a pool of blood, not a pretty sight I can tell you.
We took the polish lad down a fire escape to the nearest exit and I don't mind admitting that I used Him to open the fire door with, I can't stand bullies and what he'd just done could have killed someone so I had just enough time to slam him into the door which burst open straight out into a police unit, arrested and charged.
As for the front door it wasn't actually anything to do with me or my venue, I was in Scarborough at the Blue Lounge one Boxing Day and witnessed a full on street fight break out in front of me!  Back then Scarborough was extremely busy on bank holidays and Boxing Day was usually just crazy, one year over 7000 people came through the bar during the day!   I've no idea how it started but the streets were filled with drinkers in a variety of states all day and suddenly two guys were fighting right across the street from me then everyone seemed to join in!  I'd say around 30 people were full on fighting in the middle of the street for no apparent reason!  What did we do?  Radio the towns CCTV operators and close the bloody door that's what!

No comments:

Post a Comment