Monday 31 March 2014

So you think you can work a door?

Well can you?  Because these days it takes more than just being able to fight and stand your ground, in some cases new doormen can't even do that!  Last year I was working at a lovely pub in York and let me tell you, it was one of the easiest doors you'd ever hope to get, sure you're in the city centre and that's not the best for avoiding trouble but when your pub is a family friendly good home cooked grub with cask ales type of place, you can talk most undesirables out of even wanting to come in!  
Sadly though while I was there it was a two man door and nearly every person they sent us was bloody hopeless!  
A couple were nice and good doormen/women but sadly they only did a few cover shifts, and the rest?  Wow is all I can say, this isn't a slagging match as a few or all of the people involved have access to this and will probably agree with me!   First there was Mike, a nice lad and done the job for years, trouble was he was old school and bloody lazy by his own admission!  Still a good guy though wish he'd pulled his socks up!  Next was Andy, self tattooed and no idea why he worked the doors, shop security yes but the real world? I'm amazed he made it though puberty to be honest.  Then was Jack, wow is the best description, very young and probably quite intelligent but for some reason thought a little rugby experience meant he'd be able to be a doorman, a nice lad yes but after two shifts even the pub owner, a former doorman himself, sat him down and told him he thought he'd be better suited to finding a different job because he was gonna get himself hurt!  I mean he was hopeless and I wish him all the luck in the world but I just hope he's not still on a door somewhere!   Finally was Cameron, again a lovely lad and I've seen and heard of him standing his ground against a few big lads but sadly just nothing to him to look at, I mean proper skinny, he worked shop security during the days and was as keen as anything on that I'd heard him on the town radio and he clearly took it seriously but again I hope he's off the doors or has taken some serious martial arts training!

No comments:

Post a Comment