Tuesday 11 February 2014

Do you know who I am?

The words that make you both grimace and laugh at the same time.  I mean come on really?  Why do people feel the need to say that, it's so arrogant and condescending, particularly if you've already been rude to people!
An example of such an incident happened quite recently to me in my local nightclub.  We have a VIP area with a suited meeter and greeter in the doorway checking for VIP wristbands, without which you can't gain access.  Occasionally though the meeter's and greeters have to take toilet breaks and get either door staff or bar staff to cover for a few minutes.  On this occasion it happened to be a glass collector who had been asked to cover and on my way past he called me over.  
Now two Middle Aged business men types had gone up to a 17 year old slip of a lad, laughed at him and gone and sat down in the VIP area, bless him he even challenged them further but luckily they just plain ignored him.  He informed me of this and said it'd just happened and pointed the two men out to me in the VIP area.   I approached the men who did indeed look like businessmen and reminded me of the middle class, blading, slightly podgy bank mangers you see on BBC drama's.  
"Hi guys, I'm security, I'm sorry but this is a VIP area, you need to get a wristband from reception to be in here I'm afraid."
No response, not even an acknowledgement of my presence. 
I calmly pulled the table in front of them back slightly and raised my voice slightly 
"Right guys, you've ignored my colleague on the door and pushed past him then ignored him again, now you've ignored me?  I don't think so guys and I will remove you now look at me and leave now please."  
This got a response, they both looked at me as the older of the two got up and said those immortal words
"Do you know who I am?"
Now I did know he was nobody of any great importance, in other words if you come here all the time and spend money then you'll be welcomed but just because you have money and have decided to come out you think you can speak to everyone here like shit? I think not.
"Totally ignorant?  Leaving shortly?" Came my reply.
Clearly this guy didn't come out very often because he then decided to counter this with "I feel like pouring this beer over your head"
Perfect response, for me anyway, as I smiled and said 
"Well you've just threatened me and I feel like choking you out right now, but I tell you what I'll restrain myself, how about you just fuck off out of here before you cross a line and get yourself hurt"
Maybe not the best response but factually accurate, and it worked as they left without a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment