Monday 27 January 2014

Crazy Eastern Europeans 1

I've worked with a few foreign doormen over the years, most of whom are stand up guys and certainly not scared of anything put in front them!
One of these guys we called G, now G was from Lithuania and had very eastern block mannerism's, a flat top hair cut and reminded me a little of Dolph Lundgren in his old films, rarely smiling and usually volunteering for the loneliest, coldest jobs going.  One in particular was the back door of our local revolution bar, it was basically a manned fire escape, some nights opened to cool down inside but only used as an exit never an entrance and  it was, in my opinion, the coldest, loneliest most depressing position we had. G loved it.
To make my point a little more about how impassive G was, most doormen would give a thumbs up to each other whilst making eye contact on a patrol, when I patrolled inside however even making eye contact with G was difficult as he would invariably be looking scary, glaring, at the dance floor, occasionally I'd get a nod, not to let me know everything was OK it was more a acknowledgment of my presence... it's not that G was cocky its more he had this genuine belief of, I am here, none shall pass.  We even used to joke that we'd have to be careful with the words we used because we feared if we said "G, let no one out of this door" the bloody building could be burning down and he'd be throwing people back in!  Maybe slightly excessive but you didn't meet the guy!
The clearest memory I have of G was on a weekend night when I had popped out the front of rev's and was smiling as two chav's were being turned away, mouthy as always, they moved on down the side of the bar so the head doorman radioed to G, "G there's two young chav's heading round the back, make sure they don't sneak through and if they give you any grief, hey just kill them."
We smiled at each other then went silent when a thick Eastern European accent came back like a robot "Message received and understood." 

No comments:

Post a Comment