Monday 27 January 2014

Crazy Eastern Europeans 2

Soo while I'm thinking of the crazy guys I've worked with I can't leave out Maciej, quite possibly one of the most dangerous men I've ever met, but what a sense of humour and a top, decent bloke to boot.  Maciej is polish and when I first met him still had the usual Eastern Block mannerisms I'd got used to.
A lot of these guys appear very angry and aggressive but in their countries and culture they have to be to survive, which doesn't always work in the UK but many, like Maciej, adapted extremely well.  I fact almost the second sentence out of his mouth scared me nearly as much as the drinker he was talking to!
 It was his first shift with me on the door at BrB in Harrogate, I think it was a Friday night, so pretty busy with plenty of people in the streets.   Maciej turned up at 8 o clock as expected and he introduced himself then we went straight to the front door as we noticed a group of chavvy looking guys outside and I wanted to make sure they didn't come in.  The group did indeed come towards the door and I told them that they couldn't come in citing the dress code as they had trainers and sportswear on and told them at weekends we didn't allow that as many places in town centers don't.
This is usually a good way of dealing with undesirables and most accept it without too much aggro.  Sadly these guys decided to tell us in great detail just how much their trainers and tracksuits cost, and pointing at a few people with cheap shoes on already inside, it's a well known argument on the doors and happens all the time when actually all we want to say is, you ain't coming in cos you're a scumbag and you know it!   But they always want a row and to try and get a rise out of doormen so they can make a complaint, oh the joys of suing culture!  
I listened and listened and just as I was about to call the street camera in an effort to move them on Maciej decided to weigh in, he loomed forward and in a thick Eastern European accent said 
"Look, I am not like these assholes round here, I am from Eastern Europe and I will fucking kill you now fuck off!" 
Needless to say the blood was draining from my face a little as I contemplated whether he in fact HAD killed anyone or not!  
 It definitely had to desired affect thou as the group obviously noticed me looking slightly worried too and decided to beat a hasty retreat!  Score one for the poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment