Friday 24 January 2014

Spin kick mishap

I once worked a venue called BrB, a funky little house bar which got pretty busy on a weekend.  On one of my toilet checks one evening I heard a man in a cubicle with either a cold or a serious breathing problem if you know what I mean!  I dropped to my knees and could see his feet pointing to the side and the shadow from him bending towards the toilet roll holder, I heard tapping which I assumed was him cutting another line, waited until I heard another snort then quickly banged on the door with a shout of
"Security!  Right open up right now no excuses I'm not interested walk straight out and you'll save me a call to the police" 
I try to get this out as quick as possible as the police are indeed not interested in a tiny bit of coke and the shock of being caught but being allowed to leave is usually enough for most people to just hand over whatever they've got left and get out and away as quick as possible, I think this is the easiest and safest way to deal with a drugs find particularly if you're working alone or with one other which in this case I was.  I radioed immediately to my collegue to say I'd caught someone taking drugs and they were leaving, this allows for the offender to hear that he's no longer just dealing with a doorman but at least one other, again a good deterrent, it also makes whoever you're working with aware you're in a situation so if he doesn't hear back he'll be checking on you and hopefully come running if needed!   
The door opened and I saw a typical middle class businessman, maybe 30 years old with a worried expression, perfect and hopefully easy to deal with.
"Ok fella" I said "down the toilet with what's left", he had a baggy with a little white powder in it which he tossed into the pan.
"Right bud straight out and stay away for a few weeks and we'll leave it at that, you've been caught and we can't have that in here ok?"  The man looked sheepish and said "yeah no problems"
As we left the toilets the fire escape is directly in front of us so I opened the doors , stood to the side and said "ok bud see ya later"
.At this point something sometimes kicks in in people's brains, they're passive as hell and the second they see the door reality kicks in and they freeze, and change.  "No, I'm not going my friends are upstairs" he said.  "Now mate" I replied, "it's not up for discussion, you've done drugs in a bar and been caught so its time to go and I'm certainly not going to let you go back to your friends so I've then got a group to deal with am I, now, time to go fella!"
Now I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say but apparently he didn't, instead he punched me, or tried to at least!  This terrible swinging right hand came up so slowly my gran could have blocked it, I palmed his arm away with my left hand and open palm pushed him back with my right, he went back into the wall firmly but fine as I shouted "what the fuck do you think you're doing!  Out, now!"
His face screwed up and he came at me again with more force but again with a wild swinging right.
This time, and I have to say it was purely a reflex action, I moved to my right and pivoted on my right foot allowing me to spin kick the man in the back of the head and that combined with his forward momentum sent him sprawling through the air, unfortunately for me the floor had obviously had a drink spilled on it and when I connected with him my balance was shaken and my right foot just slid on the tiled floor, needless to say we both came crashing down to the ground!   I radioed for backup and the smile on Marek's face when he came down to see me sitting next to an unconscious man holding my badly sprained ankle was rather wide!   The moral of the story?  Leave the spin kicks to the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment