Thursday 30 January 2014

UFC has a lot to answer for!

Well I've been on the doors for fifteen years now and times have definitely changed, not always for the better either. Before the 24 hour drinking came in I worked at a bar until midnight then would go to a nightclub and work there from half twelve till three ish, one night when I got there I was having a quick walk around and came across a young lad maybe 20 at most in front of me absolutely mortal drunk, swaying from side to side and struggling to stand up straight.
"Right lad", I chuckled "you're proper drunk bud, you need to leave, come back another night yeah?!" 
The little shit swing for me!  It was a crap overhand right and I stepped forward, ducking the punch and wrapped my right arm under his wild swing and around his neck pulling him towards my body and locking him by simply holding my hands in this position, I marched straight for he door mumbling and swearing to myself about arrogant little shits.
When I got to the front door the head doorman Shaun smiled then paused and said "Dan"
"What, look he tried to punch me" I said still holding the lad.
"No, Dan look!"  Shaun pointed at the lads head.  I let go.  The lad dropped to the floor, I'd squeezed so hard at first he was unconscious!  Oops.
The flip side to this is when I was working in a late bar only a year or so ago, there was a young lad about the same age and build standing at the bar looking unbelievably aggressive.  I mean he looked like he wanted to kill someone just a face of pure anger.   
I approached him and asked "hey bud you ok?"  
"Yeah fine" came the snappy response.
I weighed up the situation as we have to do and made the decision he should leave.   We as doormen have to make these decisions very quickly based upon a variety of factors but something about this lad just set every instinct off in me telling me this guy was bad news, he's gonna hit someone.  He had two friends with him who looked fine but you never can tell and the way that bar was run we had to deal with a lot on our own so I replied as calmly as I could to see if his response changed first.
"Fella has something happened cos you look really angry and upset bud and you're kinda scaring people, are you sure you're ok?"
Offering help to anyone can quite often change someones mood and I hoped this may change his attitude to me but sadly not.
"Yeah I said I'm fucking fine ok" came the reply.
"Right bud well I'm sorry but you look like you're gonna hit someone and you're scaring people and you're obviously not ok so I don't know what's happened but you're gonna have to leave and come back another time" I said.
I motioned towards to door and began moving forwards, he took one step forwards then span round firing a quick right jab at me.  Instinct took over as I ducked and went to block grabbing his arm with my left, that's when the left hook came at me which is when the adrenaline first kicked in, this guy knew how to fight and I was about to find out how well.  I blocked the hook with my right arm wrapping my arm around his as I did so in an attempt to lock him up as we call it.  He dropped his bodyweight backwards loosening my grip and jumped as we both fell, yes jumped up and attempted a flying armbar on my right arm!!   For those of you who don't know what an armbar is, imagine lying on your back with your arm outstretched, then imagine someone putting their legs over your chest and, pulling your arm straight then lifting their hips thereby hyper-extending your shoulder potentially dislocating it!  This is an advanced martial arts move and can result in serious injury if not performed in a controlled environment.  This was when the second burst of adrenaline hit and I thank the stars that I've done a variety of martial arts over the years or id have been screwed without a doubt.  Muscle memory took over and instead of allowing my arm to straighten which enables him to pop my shoulder I dropped all my weight on top of him and grabbed his neck with my right hand squeezing as hard as I could, I won't lie survival defiantly took over there!   I reached up with my left for my radio and shouted "Wayne get in here!" as loud as I could!  
Meantime with adrenaline still firing I checked my back fearing a boot heading my way but luckily no, the guys mates were stood staring, again spilt second decision time cos reality can kick back in and they could jump on me In a second!  I shouted at them "back off I'm not hitting him I'm just holding him, he went for me!" 
Luckily this seemed to work as they obviously weren't fighters like their mate and again I thank the stars for that too.
Wayne came charging over and we got the lad up and marched him to the door and outside.   We put the police camera on him as he started mouthing off, sadly Wayne wasn't as quick as me to duck when the lad punched him and got a bloody lip for getting too close, life's harsh sometimes I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment