Friday 14 March 2014

Drugs and the damage they can do

Well I've been asked to add a few more real stories and I'll answer a few commonly asked questions of doormen the best I can, one of which is, have you ever properly hurt someone?  Sadly the answer to this is yes and although when I was younger I liked a scrap like many young men do, I also had the disciple to know when to stop or when it just wasn't a fair fight.
Sometimes on the door though you come up against some tough guys just out to fight, sometimes they meet up with you off the doors too which is one reason many doormen band together because it's not paranoia if the really are out to get you! 
On one night out I remember I went out with my boss Lee, our mate James and their girlfriends for a few beers.  We had one drink in a small bar and headed into town from there passing by the front of a local strip bar, two lads and a girl where there trying to get in, but as they were closed they were being turned away.  They turned into our path and one of the lads instantly recognised Lee from the doors, and clearly had a problem.   Lee was more than capable of looking after himself against the youth so I turned my attention to his friend who was moving to the side out of Lee's sight, James challenged him and bang, took a right hook for his trouble which dropped him.  This guy then focused his attention on me and advanced towards me, as he came close he aimed a punch which I managed to avoid and pushed him back hard, he tripped and fell backwards then bounced back up and flew at me swinging punches!  I managed to avoid a few and, still facing him managed to "tie him up" as it were, this only resulted in wild head butts at me!  I stepped back and still holding him pushed down whilst bringing my knee up straight to his temple, should be game over but he just seemed to get stronger!  
I'd had to let go of him and as he stood up I saw his eyes, dilated pupils and anger was all I saw there, lord only knows what drugs he was on but he didn't seem to feel anything as I noticed the cut I'd opened on his head. 
I could see the Lee was gonna be having a fight any second and the girls were shouting and screaming and helping poor James up so I said "don't do it fella this is stupid"
I'd barely finished speaking when he came at me again.
It was a full on scrap, I remember taking a few knocks to my arms while guarding but this guy was all anger so I kept on hitting back as he came in, the trouble was I'd managed to batter his face with elbows, jabs and hooks and nothing was stopping him!
As he came in close he got a handful of my t shirt and ripped the whole thing off in one!   Coming back once again he wildly grabbed at me and for a moment lost his footing, as his open arms tried to steady himself I grabbed the back off his head and jumped up, kneeing him full power to the head, finally he dropped but still wasn't out!   At this point I could see Lee pushing and pulling with his guy and then, lights, police lights.  I'd probably have been ok as it was self defence, but I was topless, covered in splatters of someone else's blood and with bruised and cut knuckles!   Not the best position I be caught in at 8pm on a Wednesday night!  
Purely by chance and by a piece of incredible luck I girl named Becky I'd met on the doors was driving past and had stopped to see the commotion.
"Dan!  Here quick your licence!"  She shouted at me.  This was way before current SIA licensing was in force but would still not have looked good. 
I legged it to her car and she headed off before the police pulled up asking if I was ok, "No, it's not my blood" I cheerfully replied still pumped with adrenaline.
"Jesus, well where do you live and I'll take you home, and what the hell was he on?"
To this day I'd like to know the answer to that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment