Thursday 20 March 2014

Why shouting sometimes works

Usually a big no no because it's just gonna make any situation worse let's face it.  But this is a high pressure job and tempers do flare on occasion, something I'm guilty of as much as anyone much to my regret. 
There are occasions though when shouting can help, or at the very least buy you precious seconds while waiting or backup to arrive.  Basically it's shock tactics, when a fight starts follow the same principle as rugby, get stuck in and you're less likely to get hurt!  When two or more people are fighting charging straight into the centre pushing not hitting people out of the way and shouting
"What the hell do you think you're doing fighting in here!"  
This can and sometimes does cause multiple people to stop fighting and do as they're told!   Of course it works better in smaller situations as I once turned the corner in a club to see four guys fighting, I charged straight in shouting at them to stop as I did so, they did, and that was the point I noticed that they were all large African lads who appeared to be deciding whether to eat me or not!  Luckily backup arrived quickly in that case! 
The one time that does stick in my head was when I was at revolution in Harrogate, it was a typical busy weekend night and a scrap between two young men started right in front of me in the main room, I radioed for backup and got in the middle  separating them and with a raised but not yet shouting voice.   
A small circle opened up as bystanders naturally edge away from trouble and  all of a sudden another scrap between two older men started right next to me!  Same again i got in between them but shouting louder now which had the desired effect, turning to face the two young lads I'd already separated I saw one standing there and the other in a choke hold by an off duty doorman! 
Cue me shouting at him getting involved cos he wasn't helping he was having a bloody play!  I could see the rest of the door team making their way through the crowd so before anyone could start fighting again I shouted again!
"Right no more bloody fighting in here behave yourselves!" 
It bought me those precious seconds I needed for the guys to get there and help me take them out without anymore hassle so sometimes, it helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment