Friday 14 March 2014

Have I ever lost it?

Now there's a frequently asked question of a doorman!  Yes of course I have is the short boring answer but I do have one I, ahem, got away with too.
I was on the door in York at a bar/club called Blue Fly.  It has a fenced smoking and seated area outside both it's entrance's and, due to space, that's where the doormen stand.  
Half way through one Saturday night I saw a fight break out between two men inside the cafe bar area so I went straight between them pushing them apart. I felt a dull thud on the back of my head and half dropped to one knee.  A bottle.  Time always appears to slow down due I the adrenaline in these situations and I remember half turning, raising my arm to guard against the next blow as I did so when one of the regular drinkers body checked my attacker, pushing him into the street.   We exchanged nods as I stood up and saw the two doormen I was working with take hold of the two fighters and separate them, stopping the fight.  Something in my head snapped as its not the first time I've been bottled from behind by some coward.  The fight was done and the guy who hit me was clearly friends with one of these blokes as he was shouting at his mate and hanging around for him, well my head took over and I shouted after the guy as I started walking down the street after him.
"Hey fella, like bottling someone from behind do you?  Look at you, you've a few stone on me and you do that?" 
"Dan, your licence" a member of bar staff called after me.  
I took my licence off and tossed it to him as I approached the guy.
"Come on then" I said "fists up, try it when I'm facing you" 
I raised my hands in a stance and jabbed at his chin with my left.  And he dropped!
I stared in disbelief at him on the pavement and said
"Is that it? Really?"
He stayed down and looked up sheepishly at me as his mate who'd been fighting came over.
"You want some too!" I snapped at him
Arms raised he shook his head and helped his mate up and off down the street.   Definitely not the right response these days folks but it earned me a bit of respect from the locals and maybe he won't do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment