Friday 14 March 2014

Feel good times

One of the reasons I keep doing this job is to help people, it really truly is as some of the best feelings I've ever experienced are from when I've helped someone in dire need.   They range from the simple getting yourself in front of the innocent party and taking the hit or dealing with idiots who like to grope and harass girls, to the carrying out of a girl who's hurt her ankle and is crying her eyes out and by the time you get her out is smiling again, awesome feeling. 
I've had a more extreme case thou when I was once called by a member of staff at a club to a friend of hers who was having a bad time of it, he had serious emotional problems and the staff member knew I'd also had a few emotional problems over the years so may be able to help him.  When I got to him he was in serious distress having massive panic attack about being locked up by the police as a danger to himself.  He'd had it happen before and had a crisis card with phone numbers of his therapist and doctors emergency contact so I did my best to calm him down and called them, telling them the situation and they said they'd send a non emergency ambulance as soon as they could.  
It was a quiet night in town so luckily I had plenty of time to talk to the lad and share my problems with him hoping to make a connection.  It worked and he went away calmly thanking me for me help.
It wasn't until a month or so later when a young lad all happy and smiley came up to me in the same club, I barely recognised him as the same lad until he started to thank me for my help and how telling him how id dealt with some of my issues had helped him too, definitely one of the highlights of all my years of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment