Monday 31 March 2014

ID and the lies therein

Well they vary from the giggly white lie to the blatant whopper!   The most common is probably about age or how much they think they've had to drink!   When ID'ing people it's a good idea to ask their age as well as checking the date shown as you'd be surprised how many kids will lie and expect you to just look at the picture, not the date!  Some will even argue the point so convincingly that on occasion I've even doubted my maths!  
Quite recently I confiscated a fake ID from a girl who decided to start insulting me and my professionalism stating that her ID was a brand new type and it was disgraceful how I didn't know about it as it was my job to be aware of changes like this and how much of a hassle it was going to be for her to collect it from the police station.  I mean this girl was so convincing that she deserved an Oscar and did at one point made me question my decision in my head and I had to remind myself that Northern Ireland is actually part of the uk and the licences are the same!  Also it had no hologram when I used a UV light on it and looked cheap and nasty!  Needless to say when I showed a policeman later he didn't really need to take it! 
Of course the biggest problem with ID's I'd say isn't the fakes, they're easy to spot and most places I've worked only accept passports and driving licences, and not clipped passports either, there's a reason they make you change the picture after ten years so if you can't travel abroad on it then what makes people think they can use it to buy alcohol? Bewilders me sometimes.  No the biggest problem in my opinion is siblings, there are countless brothers and sisters out there who look so alike it's easy for a 17 and sometimes 16 year old to steal his or her siblings ID and then pass for 18!  After all why wouldn't we accept it they know all the details backwards, forwards and if they're really clever they'll take a bank card too so even if we check the names match on cards in their wallet it purse it's all legit as far as we can see!  I caught a girl out in Harrogate recently when I happened to be walking through the town centre one day and saw a girl I recognised from the club I work in, the trouble was she was wearing school uniform!  Now when she was out and with makeup she looked old enough bit you'd check her ID just to be sure so I made a mental note and, the next time she came in I checked her ID in the queue, it looked so like her but said she was 19? Still in school uniform?  Even a sixth former wouldn't be that old!  After challenging her on this she said I must have seen her sister in town who looks very similar to her, sadly love I said, With the hairstyle you have you'd have to be twins.  She left and didn't even try to ask for the ID back, one more to send to the DVLA and one more underager caught out!

No comments:

Post a Comment